What is Edge Recording?
Edge recording, also called local storage or on-board recording, is when a camera records video directly onto a SD or memory card in the camera instead of a separate NVR or storage device. Edge recording gives you more flexibility in recording video.
How Edge Recording Works
Saving video files on an on-board memory card is called edge recording because the file location is on the “edge” of the surveillance system network where the camera is located, instead of a “central” location like a NVR where all cameras and other devices are connected.
The SD cards surveillance cameras use can have limited space compared to large computer hard drives or NVRs, making them a great solution when you only want to record small numbers of files. Motion detection-activated recording, where your camera only records if it detects motion and can go long stretches of time between recorded events, work well with edge recording.
Edge recording is also an alternative to larger storage systems if you’re on a budget. While you will need to purchase the SD card separately from the camera, NVR systems can be more expensive and intensive than you need if you don’t save many files.
How Edge Recording Can Help You
Edge recording provides a cost-effective storage system for small systems. But it can also add flexibility to your system, and provide a backup storage method. While specific features will vary by manufacturer, edge storage can:
- Record files to the memory card in the event that the connection to the central NVR is lost
- Store video for cameras that cannot easily connect to a central NVR, including remote locations and mobile camera systems
- Minimize bandwidth by not sending large video files over your network
When used as the main storage location for small video files or as part of a larger system for saving and retrieving files, edge recording is used by many industries and system installers:
- For businesses who only save motion-activated video at night when the office is closed
- For home owners, who only record when they are out of the house
- For public transportation, included busses and trains, who cannot stay connected to a central NVR while traveling
Edge recording is available on cameras from all major surveillance camera brands including Axis, Optica, and Mobotix.
Learn more with VideoSurveillance.com
With a team of knowledgeable sales and technical support representatives, VideoSurveillance.com can help you learn more about edge recording and determine if it’s the best recording method for your surveillance needs. Call us at (866) 945-6808 or send us a message today!