Small Business Owners Archives
The newest whitepaper is now available from VideoSurveillance.com - introducing Solutions by Role: A Quick Guide to Increased Security. This comprehensive overview looks into video surveillance system management from the perspective of five positions within an organization:
- Small business owner
- IT director
- General manager
- Security director
- Construction project manager
Each section looks at the security challenges faced by businesses, the ways in which modern video surveillance systems can help improve security and business operations, and a list of frequently asked questions.
Here at VideoSurveillance.com we often stress the importance of video surveillance systems in helping stores capture shoplifters and other criminals. Last week a Portland, Oregon store owner was able to do just that, capturing a shoplifter on camera.
Sarah Bibb owns Folly, a clothing boutique in Portland. After noticing an empty hanger, Bibb reviewed her store's surveillance video and found clear video of the theft happening. Bibb contacted police and then, hoping that someone would recognize the woman, shared the video on Facebook. You can see the original post on Bibb's Facebook page.
Friends of the woman recognized her in the video and brought her back to the store to return the clothing, where she was arrested. Read more on KOIN 6 News, who were on the scene when the arrest happened.
So why did Bibb's surveillance system work so well in this case? While Bibb is not a VideoSurveillance.com customer, here are several things we can tell she did right:
- There were multiple cameras installed in the store, including one that provided an overview of the entire floor to monitor customers as they move between displays
- Another camera was installed with a clear view of the door, making it easy to track every customer who entered the store and document those times
- A camera next to the door was installed facing customers as they exit at a height for facial recognition
- The camera's resolution provided clear video for police, and Bibb's Facebook followers, to identify the woman
- Bibb immediately reviewed the surveillance video when she realized a crime had happened, making it easier to sift through the video files to find the relevant clip