Video Surveillance for Thrift Stores
Thrift stores, those repositories of junk and hidden treasures, don't seem like the most likely candidates for video surveillance and security cameras. But, like other retail stores, thirft stores, consignment shops and other secondhand stores can benefit greatly from the presence of a security system.
View blog posts relating to thrift store video surveillance.
Benefits of Secondhand Store Surveillance
Protect employees and customers -one of the most widely used applications for IP video cameras is theft and crime prevention - and thrift store security cameras can help keep bargain hunters and employees safe.
Protect property - along with acting as a deterrent to vandalism and other property crimes, outdoor surveillance cameras at thrift stores and charity shops can help prevent another common problem - illegal dumping
Prevent theft and robbery - although their wares may not be the most expensive, thrift stores and secondhand shios depend on their merchandise and consistent sales tos tay afloat. Security cameras can help keep secondhand store merchandise - whether it's old junk or a hidden antique - safe from thieves.
Risks of Thrift Store IP cameras
Privacy - protect the privacy of employees and patrons by keeping thrift store security cameras in public areas like the sales floor and out of private areas like bathrooms, fitting rooms and break rooms.
Damage - there's always a risk that a thrift store security camera can break - especially in warehouses and outdoors. To reduce the risk of broken and/or damaged cameras and the resultatn lost footage, look into durable vandalproof casings for dome and outdoor cameras.
Questions to Ask about Consignment Store IP Video Cameras
Because secondhand stores, consignment shops and thrift stores are predominantly independently owned, their layouts and merchandise vary greatly from store to store. To get an idea of the optimal surveillance system for a particular store, ask these questions when looking at IP cameras:
- What makes your thrift shop susceptible to theft?
- What is your biggest security issue?
- Have you had problems with theft and robbery in the past?
- Does your neighborhood or surrounding area contribute to or detract from your overall security?
Setup Advice for Thrift Store Surveillance Systems
- Use a combination of dome, fixed and pan/tilt/zoom (PTZ) cameras to get complete coverage of the sales floor.
- If your store has a display for valuables and more expensive items, place a camera nearby to protect them at all times.
- Outdoor cameras and cameras in durable vandal-proof housings are good for back drop-off areas and near store dumpsters (where most illegal dumping takes place).