Video Surveillance for Houseboats
Whether it is your primary residence or a vacation home, monitoring your houseboat is a smart security measure. Imagine how safe you will feel when you can see what is going on at any time with a houseboat video surveillance system.
Benefits of Houseboat surveillance
Easy Installation – IP camera installation is easy to do yourself both inside and outside of your houseboat. Professional installers and electricians are not necessary with Power over Ethernet (PoE).
Prevent Crime – Thieves and other intruders are less likely to prey on houseboats obviously protected with IP cameras.
Peace of Mind – Feel confident with the knowledge that video surveillance cameras are protecting your houseboat.
Remote and mobile monitoring –Access video streams from your IP cameras anytime, anywhere with remote monitoring capabilities. View live footage and playback archived video from a web browser on a PC, tablet or smart phone.
Evidence –Houseboat video surveillance can come in handy when making an insurance claim after a natural disaster, break in or other incident. Video footage can also be the deciding factor in legal proceedings.
Monitor guests –If you frequently rent or lend your vacation houseboat to strangers or friends, consider using IP cameras to see whether or not they adhere to rules and protocol. Protect your investment from damaging careless behavior.
Houseboat Surveillance Risk Factors
Vandalism/Tampering – While video surveillance can deter criminals, some prowlers might try to destroy or disarm cameras.
Adverse Conditions – Extreme temperatures, corrosive air and weather may harm cameras or cause power outages/surges that disrupt recording.
Considerations in Selecting Surveillance Systems for Houseboats
- How easy is it for strangers to access your houseboat?
- How often are you at the houseboat?
- Do you have trusted neighbors, a homeowners association or neighborhood watch group to alert you of problems?
- How quickly can law enforcement reach your home in an emergency situation?
- If your houseboat is not your main residence, how long would it take you to arrive if something happened?
Installation Advice for Houseboat Video Surveillance System
- Place cameras at every point at which an intruder could gain access to your houseboat.
- Consider installing cameras discreetly as a backup measure in case obvious cameras are compromised.
- Monitor jewelry, expensive equipment and other valuables to ensure their safety while you’re away.
- Do not install cameras where guests or renters can reasonably expect privacy, such as a bedroom or bathroom. Consider informing them that common areas are monitored, as this may even prevent misconduct.
- Use a backup security system in case cameras are unable to record. Install outdoor-ready cameras in challenging environments.