Video Surveillance for Cruise Ships
Think about a cruise ship for a moment. It's quite literally a floating resort. So when it comes to video surveillance, the camera system must be able to monitor a wide variety of areas with completely unique needs. A single ship can include restaurants, lodging, a casino, pools, a workout room, shops, a sprawling deck (most likely with shuffleboard courts), and much more. In order to monitor that much unique territory, a comprehensive surveillance system is vital.
View blog posts relating to cruise ship video surveillance.
Benefits of cruise ship video surveillance
Prevent crime – The presence of security cameras throughout a cruise ship work to deter theft and other acts of crime, and can also help investigators by providing detailed video footage of such incidents.
Find missing persons – There have been a number of high-profile cases involving missing persons on cruise ships. Thorough cruise ship surveillance is an effective tool in solving cases involving lost or abducted individuals.
Reduce liability – The visual evidence provided by surveillance cameras can reduce liability in cases involving crimes, accidents, and other incidents on board a cruise ship.
Monitor employees – Utilizing security to cameras to monitor employees helps to improve employee operations and training.
Combat terrorism – Terrorism is a strong concern for cruise ships. Proper video surveillance aims to prevent potential terrorist plots from being carried out.
Reduce losses – Security cameras help to reduce losses in onboard casinos, retail shops and other areas throughout a cruise liner.
Cruise Liner Surveillance Risks
Tampering – If a security camera suffers damage from tampering or vandalism, the signal may be lost. Other security measures should be in place to make up for a lost video signal.
Privacy – Surveillance cameras should be installed to monitor public places throughout a cruise ship, but areas such as bathrooms and individual passenger's room are considered private and off limits to surveillance.
Configuration of Video Surveillance on Cruise Ships
When determining the appropriate video surveillance setup for a cruise liner, consider the following factors:
- What type of security staff does the cruise ship employ?
- What is the current state of the ship's overall security setup?
- Does the cruise liner feature an onboard casino?
- What is the physical makeup of the ship in terms of different areas with unique surveillance needs?
- Have there been reported criminal acts and thefts onboard the vessel?
- Have there been disputes over claims of injury and accidents taking place on the ship?
- Has the cruise liner experienced losses in its casino or other areas where money is exchanged?
- How is employee identification handled on the ship?
Cruise Ship Surveillance Camera Setup Advice
- Install cameras to monitor the ship's boarding areas to capture images of all passengers.
- If the cruise ship includes a casino, utilize a thorough surveillance setup to monitor casino activity.
- Install cameras in all shops, restaurants and any area where money is exchanged.
- Maintain surveillance in hallways and other areas where passengers and employees move throughout the vessel.
- Utilize security cameras to monitor restricted areas to ensure that only authorized employees gain access.
- Monitor areas where cargo and luggage is loaded and unloaded.
- Provide exterior and interior views of the cruise ship.