Video Surveillance for Commercial Vessels
Much of the world’s trade is transported by sea on commercial vessels. With valuable goods on board, installing a marine surveillance system can help combat security threats and work to keep shipments and crew members safe.
Benefits of commercial vessel surveillance systems
Prevent crime – With valuable shipments on board, carefully placed security cameras can act as a deterrent to theft or acts of violence.
Combat terrorism – Since much of the world’s trade is transported by sea on commercial vessels, comprehensive marine surveillance systems can play vital roles in thwarting terrorist plots and keeping important shipments safe.
Reduce liability – Commercial vessels can be dangerous places. Security cameras provide visual evidence that can reduce liability in cases involving crimes or accidents that take place on board.
Monitor employees –There are often a large number of people working aboard commercial vessels. Boat surveillance systems can help keep an eye on activity throughout the vessel, especially during the critical loading and unloading process.
Reduce losses –valuable cargo on board, installing security cameras can help prevent theft or tampering with shipments.
Provide visual evidence –In cases where theft or an act of violence does take place, cameras placed on the vessel can provide valuable video evidence for criminal investigations.
Commercial vessel surveillance risks
Tampering and vandalism – If a security camera suffers damage from tampering or vandalism, the signal may be lost. Other security measures should be in place to make up for a lost video signal.
Configuration of Video Surveillance Systems for Commercial Vessels
- What is the state of the vessel’s overall security setup?
- What is the physical makeup of the commercial vessel in terms of different areas with unique surveillance needs?
- Have there been reported criminal acts and thefts on board the vessel?
- What type of security staff does the commercial vessel employ?
- How is access to the commercial vessel controlled?
- Have there been disputes over claims of injury and accidents taking place on the commercial vessel?
- How is employee identification handled on the ship?
Security Camera Setup Advice for Commercial Vessels
- Install cameras to monitor the ship’s loading and unloading areas.
- Use cameras equipped to handle low-light and dark conditions.
- Use boat surveillance cameras with weather-resistant housing.
- Install surveillance cameras to view the deck of the commercial vessel as well as important indoor spaces.
- Utilize boat security cameras to monitor restricted areas to ensure that only authorized employees gain access.