Video Surveillance for ATMs
ATM security has turned into an industry in and of itself. ATM transactions are quick and convenient, but the machines and the areas surrounding them can be susceptible to criminal activity if not properly protected. The use of video surveillance, especially new IP-based security cameras can help to ensure that ATM transactions are safe.
View blog posts relating to ATM video surveillance.
Benefits of ATM surveillance
Prevent hold ups and violent confrontations – The presence of security cameras can enhance the level of safety around an ATM, making it less likely that customers will be confronted by threatening criminals looking to swipe their cards or cash.
Deter ATM skimming – Skimming involves the use of special devices to record information from magnetic stripes on bank cards. ATM security cameras can spot and stop a potential skimming operation before it starts.
Prevent hidden camera use – Some criminals have been known to steel ATM pin numbers by using small hidden cameras. A proper video surveillance system will detect such an operation by spotting suspicious activity and hidden camera installation as it happens.
Digital storage – IP-based security cameras enable the user to store and back-up footage digitally on hard drives or servers. This allows for more footage to be archived while also providing advanced search capabilities.
Criminal investigation – IP network cameras can provide valuable visual evidence of crimes involving cash machines. Searching through digital footage for specific times and dates is typically a smooth and painless process. Some ATMs are left unattended for long periods of time. In such cases, archived footage can prove invaluable when an incident is reported.
Cash machine security camera risks
Tampering – If a criminal manages to vandalize or tamper with a security camera, the video signal could be lost. For areas with 24-hour ATMs, other safety measures such as proper lighting and a physical security presence can help to make up for the lost signal.
Configuration of ATM surveillance cameras
- When implementing an ATM security camera installation, consider some of the following factors:
- Is the cash machine operational 24 hours a day?
- Is the ATM attached to a bank?
- What kind of physical security presence, if any, patrols the area?
- Is the machine left unattended for extended periods of time?
- What kind of neighborhood is the machine located in? Is there a history of crime?
Cash machine security camera setup advice
- Install a security camera within the ATM in order to get clear and detailed images of all transactions.
- Position camera to monitor the area surrounding the cash machine for comprehensive views of suspect activity.
- Consider employing software that enables you to link individual transactions with video footage so that archived footage is easier to sort during criminal investigations.
- Consider using IP cameras equipped with video analytics such as facial-recognition to spot specific suspects and marked criminals.